Dancing is not for the weak.
You know, people are always underestimating dance. Like ‘Oh, that’s so much easier than this’ or ‘Anyone can do that.’ But there are so many components people don’t understand.
What angers me the most is when athletic people who play sports say this. Okay, think about it loser. When a soccer player gets a mere kick in the shins THAT DOESN’T EVEN HURT IN REALITY he lies on the ground acting and pretending to be in pain and then he gets taken off the field and then the fucking referee gives a yellow card. Or if batter up gets hit in the arm by some bad pitch and then rubs his boo boo as he advances to first base even though he has so much muscle in his arm it only hurts partially. DANCERS HAVE TO HIDE THAT PAIN. Because it’s unprofessional of them to show it. In the dance world, it’s like if you’re in pain, get over it because so is everyone else.
Continuing with pain, if a dancer is injured of course it’s best that he/she rest. But they can’t. Because the dance world is so competitive that if you’re not there 100% then someone else will take your spot without notice. In sports, you break a bone, you sit out, but you still have your job/position for some time. Speaking of competition, you also have this ugly hierarchy in a dance company that is inevitable. Yes, you are in one company but guess what there’s a BIG difference between a corps and a principal.
And the fact that dancers have to endure all this shit with MINIMUM SALARY. The energy it takes to complete a whole show vs. LeBron James shooting one mothereffin’ hoop is a story on two completely different ends.
Since such a large percentage of the public seems to have ample amounts of respect for sports and not the arts, this brings up another point. Dancers get little to no recognition except for reviews on the NY Times or through the Internet. Very rarely do you see a dancer on TV being treated like a celebrity figure while all sports players out there are rich and getting wasted because they can do that with their lives and still somehow maintain their dignity which of course just doesn’t make sense to me at all.
Which brings up another topic, image and perception. Dancers really have to maintain healthy body image and weight without starving themselves which is why they are so careful to check what they eat. Some dancers don’t eat the night before a show so they can fit into a certain tutu or costume and still make the whole show look fantastic. Can athletes pull that off?
You know what, I think sports are great I really do. But when you show no respect for what I believe in and what I do when I show respect for your activities, you cross a very very fine line. Yes, dancers are in some respects athletes but they are ARTISTS. Wonderful and marvelously talented artists.
Dancing is not for the emotionally unstable. Dancing is not for the weak.
- poeira-das-estrelas reblogged this from thedancersblog
- forgottendance reblogged this from thedancersblog
- enchanteddance reblogged this from thedancersblog
- enchanteddance likes this
- endlessrain-intoapapercup likes this
- shehasabeautifulmind reblogged this from thedancersblog
- a-pretty-how-town reblogged this from thedancersblog
- coonnniiee reblogged this from thedancersblog
- tip-toeing-through-life likes this
- asiaweiss reblogged this from thedancersblog
- snowwhitesaid reblogged this from thedancersblog
- thefussyfox reblogged this from thedancersblog
- dancing-melody reblogged this from thedancersblog
- bbunghole likes this
- mariahavocado likes this
- discofreaks likes this
- armswideheartabandoned likes this
- kimberlaymarie likes this
- ashwieeboo reblogged this from thedancersblog
- evielynnphotography likes this
- joilieder likes this
- yourlipsgiveyouawaay likes this
- faancyfootwork reblogged this from thedancersblog
- loveisindestructible reblogged this from thedancersblog
- hummingbird-squabbles likes this
- a-seperation-coming-on reblogged this from thedancersblog
- lenguamuerta likes this
- magicthroughdance reblogged this from thedancersblog
- magicthroughdance likes this
- dancingwithallmyheart reblogged this from thedancersblog
- dancingwithallmyheart likes this
- makeitagoodoneeh likes this
- patchedworklife likes this
- themonstersaysrawr reblogged this from thedancersblog
- kuzmyass likes this
- talentmeanswork likes this
- purseypenguin reblogged this from thedancersblog
- mylife-myworld-is-ballet reblogged this from marianaballerina
- almostbrainless likes this
- lexxan reblogged this from thedancersblog
- thoughts-and-lies likes this
- fearnothing-beeverything likes this
- behindthesesmilingeyes likes this
- sorarei reblogged this from thedancersblog
- kawaii-potter reblogged this from thedancersblog
- kawaii-potter likes this
- coeurdedanses reblogged this from thedancersblog
- dancedazzmindance reblogged this from americanogoodvibe and added: